Hi, have we met?
I'm Joy Smith, and I'm the designer behind Cinebling.
I often write about movies and my jewellery inspirations on the blogs here, but I thought it would be fun to do something a little different.
This reminds me of the chain letters and emails that used to circulate (and most likely, still do!) back in the 90s, although here, there is no obligation to pass it on or be forever cursed to watch bad movies!
There are 40 questions in total, which will be updated after I send them out to my A List! (Want all the inside news? Join the A List here!)
Hope this gives you a little more info on me as a person, and if you have any questions I haven't answered, please drop them into the comments and I'll let you know!
1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
This would probably change every time I got asked it! I think right now, I’d love to have Gal Gadot over. From what I know about her, she’s a really interesting person (and she could maybe give me the inside scoop on WW84, too!)
2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?
Definitely not! When I was younger and wanted to work in the movies, I wrote scripts. You get all the fun and glamour of working in the industry, but mostly, no one knows what screenwriters look like. Definitely not in the way they do actors and directors!
3. Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?
No, but I probably should! Sometimes I hang up and do a bit of a facepalm, but I just go for it!
4. What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?
Easy! A lie in, a spot of brunch, and then a triple-bill at the movies with a sundae and lashings and lashings of popcorn. Just don’t ask me to narrow it down to only three movies!
5. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?
About five minutes ago! I seem to have a very wordy brain, and will often find myself singing apparently random songs. I then realise it’s linked to an earlier conversation or something by the lyrics.
(Turns out my singing makes cute kittens hide underneath sofas!)
6. If you were able to live to the age of 90 and retain either the mind or body of a 30-year-old for the last 60 years of your life, which would you want?
This is tricky! I’d like to think that I’d learn a lot between being 30 and being 90, which would make me lean towards body, so my mind could grow… but then it would be great to have the enthusiastic outlook of 30-year-old me and brighten up the 90-year-olds. Toss a coin!
7. What do you find relaxing?
8. What's your least favourite sound?
Any recording of my own voice.
9. For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
Wow, there’s so many to count here! Probably my family. They can drive me crazy sometimes, but they’re pretty awesome.
10. Can you describe your taste in interiors and design?
Erm, not really! I don’t think I know enough about it. I think I err slightly towards minimalism, as I don’t like too much pattern on things. I did read something recently that patterns can trigger migraines, which I’ve had really badly, so maybe that’s something to do with it.
I don’t it when things look too plain though – I like a house to look like a home, not a showroom or a museum.
11. How would you like people to feel around you?
Happy! If that’s not possible, I’d have to go for relaxed and inspired.
12. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or ability, what would it be?
It’s got to be the ability to fly, right? Reading minds sounds great in theory, but in practice people are so complicated it’d be mind-boggling. Flying is simple, cool and also useful!
13. If a crystal ball could tell you the truth about yourself, your life, the future or anything else, what would you want to know?
Wow, it’s so hard to narrow it down to just one thing, especially with all the uncertainty that’s going on right now – so many questions!
14. Is there something that you’ve dreamed of doing for a long time? Why haven’t you done it?
I’ve always wanted to live by the seaside. Why haven’t I done it? Well, where you live is complicated, and it also affects more than just me – my family too. So, it’s still on the agenda, but I’ll get there when things line up right.
15. What tiny accomplishment are you proud of?
Last Friday (after I sent the email!) I went swimming and managed to swim 1500m. That’s only 100m (or 4 lengths) short of a mile. I’m pretty happy with that! Unfortunately, the pool is now closed for two weeks due to ‘technical difficulties’ (which I expect is a staff member testing positive for Covid). I’m hoping to hit the one mile mark soon after I can get back in the water.
16. When did you get a surprise?
The world is full of them! Pretty much every time I watch a documentary or something on Quest. People surprise me all the time too, which
17. What item of clothing do you treasure?
A red jumper that used to belong to my Mum. She was tall like me, and the sleeves are just perfect!
18. What's your favourite flavour?
Cherry! And as a bonus, my worst is coffee. I drink black coffee, and can’t stand anything that has a coffee ‘tint’ to it. Why spoil perfection? So I guess if you really wanted to torture me, you’d force-feed me cherry-flavoured coffee… although hopefully that doesn’t exist. (Googles it.) It does exist. Yikes!
19. If you knew that in one year you would die suddenly, what would you do?
Probably do a couple of mega world cruises for the first six months, then spend the last six months with my family (assuming I couldn’t take them all with me!)
20. What does friendship mean to you?
Funnily enough, I posted this pic on Instagram yesterday. It’s not my words, but it’s a pretty good summary. It also applies to movies!
Numbers 21-40 are coming soon!
Got any questions for me? Ask them in the comments!